Selling and NLP
NLP as a body of knowledge is full of processes and techniques of influence. Business people love processes, don’t they? Sales people love having influence, don’t they? That is why NLP and selling is such a popular partnership and why our NLP Sales Training is one of our most popular training courses for businesses.
Let’s break selling down to a simple process.
- You market your product or service. You find ‘prospects.’
- You ask your prospect questions to get to know them.
- You find a need that they have and establish some value to them in satisfying that need.
- You link the need to your product or service.
- You ask them for the business.
That is it. A simple 5 step process.
So, how come 90% of salespeople find it so tricky?
Well, firstly I suppose they might be selling the wrong product. Your product must add more value to someone than it costs. If not then give up now!
Secondly, you may not have identified the right ‘prospect.’ There is no point in trying to sell something to someone who has no need for it, you are wasting your time.
Thirdly, most salespeople do not ask enough questions and they do not get to know the prospect well enough.
Fourthly, if you do not ask someone the right questions then you will not find a need.
Fifth, if you haven’t found a need and pointed it out to the prospect then it doesn’t matter how good your product or service is the prospect will not want to part with their money.
Sixth, salespeople are generally scared of asking for the business in case the prospect says ‘no.’
Seventh, salespeople are poor at overcoming objections.
NLP helps salepeople overcome the above problems in the following ways:
- NLP provides processes. If the processes are properly trained, then the salespeople will follow the process. Keep it simple, a 5 step process!
- NLP provides people with a mindset for success, it encourages results not excuses. For example is it better for a salesperson to hold mental pictures of there being limitless opportunities, limitless clients, or pictures of running out of prospects to sell to, of a limited pool of clients?
- NLP provides processes for building rapport with people consistently and quickly. This is useful for prospecting over the telephone, to ensure that your prospect is of the best possible quality, and is perfect for face to face interaction. The process works with the client subconsciously so that they become aware of really liking the salesperson. If clients like you then they will buy from you.
- NLP breaks down thought processes and enables the salesperson to identify their prospects buying strategy just by asking a simple question. Once they know this then they can sell to that buying strategy, which will be extremely appealing to the client and they will be more inclined to buy.
- NLP provides a process called anchoring, which the salesperson can use to trigger positive and preprepared mental signals in the client, which will make them more inclined to buy.
- NLP language techniques enable salespeople communicate their messages efficiently so that the client sees the value in their product or service and sees how it fits their needs.
- NLP Eye Pattern techniques enable you to read how someone is thinking. This is really useful in establishing rapport and with identifying buying preferences.
- NLP has a process called reframing. This is a very simple process for overcoming objections, every time!
We provide our training courses and coaching services in plain language and keep our processes simple. Call us now on 0845 257 0053 or contact us using one of our online contact forms to discuss how we can meet your training or coaching needs and exceed your expectations.