INTP Personality Type – Being a Personality Type INTP
The Perceiver element of the INTP personality type means that Intuition is extraverted with this personality type and Thinking is Introverted.
Their preference in how they take in information (perception) through Intuition rather than Sensing.
Their preferred attitude and their preference for directing and receiving energy is Introverted rather than Extraverted, so they Introvert how they make decisions and come to conclusions (their Thinking). Introverted Thinking is therefore their dominant preference and this will display itself in their personality:
Contemplative, logical, detached, analytical and objectively critical
As Introverted Thinking is their dominant function so Intuition (rather than Sensing) is their next preference. They Extravert their how they take information in (Intuition) which leads to them being:
Insightful, ingenious, quick, really curious about how and what makes things work, ideas and theories.
Their personality dynamic is therefore Introverted Intuition with Extraverted Thinking. Their third preference is Sensing and their inferior function is Extraverted Feeling.
INTPs may feel stressed and should watch out for times when:
- Others display emotional outbursts (they may also be prone to this!)
- Their autonomy is interfered with by commitments or workload
- They isolate themselves and can’t gain others perspectives (perceptual positions NLP process is perfect for developing this aspect)
When you are with an INTP they will respond best to you if you are:
- businesslike and competent in their eyes
- tough & logical
- give them in-depth development opportunities where they can work on their own
- explore and evaluate, set challenging goals that they can work at creatively and in isolation, thinking about options and critiquing them independently.