Phobia- NLP Phobia Model
A phobia is a severe, unwanted, irrational fear. (is an irrational, intense and persistent fear of certain situations, activities, things, animals, or people). The main symptom of this disorder is the excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared stimulus. When a fear is beyond one’s control, and if the fear is interfering with daily life then it could be described as a phobia.
Phobia Cure, otherwise known as V-K (visual-kinesthetic) dissociation is a quick and effective cure for dealing with phobias. The key strategy is based around disassociating the visual stimuli which triggers the phobic response from the emotions that it activates. This means that the person can access the memories without triggering the emotional response of the phobia by imagining the experience of being outside their body and looking from a remote observer position at the event
NLP Phobia Process:
- Lift your head and eyes upward
- Breathe high and shallow in your chest
- Imagine you are watching a movie of yourself in a cinema, seeing yourself in the movie
- (do not experience it from your own perspective through your own eyes)
- Step out of your body and move further away from the cinema screen – looking at yourself looking at yourself
- Make the visual modalities of the movie smaller, dim, colourless, blurred, grainey with a frame around it
- Verbalise the disassociation using 3rd person language
- Create two place (double dissociation) or if necessary a three place disassociation (watching yourself watching yourself)
- Create an image of the scene prior to the event which created the phobia
- Run the movie of the event from the beginning to the end
- Freeze a still image after the movie of the phobia event has completed which is safe to focus on.You will see yourself in the image.
- Project yourself into the image of you and become associated again
- Now rewind the film backwards as quickly as you can. Run sound backwards as well. Imagery will run backwards just as you would see whilst rewinding a video
- Go back to the beginning till you are in the safe initial frozen image jump out of yourself at the beginning
- Go forward to the end still image (no need to rerun the film)
- Climb back in to the image of yourself and rewind back to the beginning.
- Jump out and go to the end still image and rewind the movie back to the beginning…….this should allow you to speedily erase the phobia pattern in your head if you do this, getting quicker each rewind (6 time should be enough)
- Clients have been known to laugh as they rewind their movie.
For extreme phobias rewind up to 20 times.